What is involved in Functional safety
Find out what the related areas are that Functional safety connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Functional safety thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Functional safety journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Functional safety leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Functional safety related domains to cover and 99 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Functional safety, Automotive Safety Integrity Level, Automotive industry, Certification, Failure mode, effects, and criticality analysis, Failure mode and effects analysis, Hazard and Operability Study, IEC 61508, ISO 26262, International Standard Book Number, Mean time between failures, Safety, Safety Integrity Level, Spurious Trip Level, System, TÜV SÜD:
Functional safety Critical Criteria:
Consider Functional safety risks and improve Functional safety service perception.
– What are all of our Functional safety domains and what do they do?
– What will drive Functional safety change?
– Do we all define Functional safety in the same way?
Automotive Safety Integrity Level Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Automotive Safety Integrity Level strategies and mentor Automotive Safety Integrity Level customer orientation.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Functional safety? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Can we do Functional safety without complex (expensive) analysis?
– Which Functional safety goals are the most important?
Automotive industry Critical Criteria:
Focus on Automotive industry adoptions and get answers.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Functional safety services/products?
– Does the Functional safety task fit the clients priorities?
– How do we Lead with Functional safety in Mind?
Certification Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Certification strategies and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Certification.
– What is the framework we use for general Cybersecurity certifications that integrate both knowledge and skill while predicting constraints of innate abilities on performance, and do we need specific certifications?
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Functional safety strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Will we be eligible for ISOIEC 20000 certification, even if our Service Desk, infrastructure management and applications management functions are located in different countries?
– For any workstation or server entered, have you received a completed hopkins hosted application checklist (see appendix) or equivalent certification or documentation?
– Regulatory compliance: Is the cloud vendor willing to undergo external audits and/or security certifications?
– Does a supplier having an ISO 9001 or AS9100 certification automatically satisfy this requirement?
– Do not ISO 9000 and CMM certifications loose their meaning when applied to the software industry?
– Is the service provider eligible for certification under the scheme?
– What has been done as regards standards and voluntary certification?
– What are the best it certifications for cloud security knowledge?
– WILL WE NEED TO CERTIFY COMPLIANCE BY CERTIFICATION BODIES?
– Is Supporting Functional safety documentation required?
– Will we be eligible for ISOIEC 20000 certification?
– What is the scope of potential ISO 20000 certification?
– What project management certifications do you hold?
– Will we be able to seek ISOIEC 20000 certification?
– How do we go about Securing Functional safety?
– What is the scope of certification?
Failure mode, effects, and criticality analysis Critical Criteria:
Deliberate over Failure mode, effects, and criticality analysis governance and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Failure mode, effects, and criticality analysis results.
– What is the purpose of Functional safety in relation to the mission?
– Who sets the Functional safety standards?
– Are there Functional safety problems defined?
Failure mode and effects analysis Critical Criteria:
Test Failure mode and effects analysis governance and pioneer acquisition of Failure mode and effects analysis systems.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Functional safety processes?
– How do we know that any Functional safety analysis is complete and comprehensive?
Hazard and Operability Study Critical Criteria:
Administer Hazard and Operability Study results and remodel and develop an effective Hazard and Operability Study strategy.
– Think about the functions involved in your Functional safety project. what processes flow from these functions?
– Does Functional safety systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
IEC 61508 Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect IEC 61508 risks and forecast involvement of future IEC 61508 projects in development.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Functional safety delivery for example is new software needed?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Functional safety leader?
ISO 26262 Critical Criteria:
Consolidate ISO 26262 leadership and attract ISO 26262 skills.
– Does Functional safety create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– When a Functional safety manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– How to Secure Functional safety?
International Standard Book Number Critical Criteria:
Track International Standard Book Number outcomes and change contexts.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Functional safety product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– How will you know that the Functional safety project has been successful?
– How do we manage Functional safety Knowledge Management (KM)?
Mean time between failures Critical Criteria:
Refer to Mean time between failures strategies and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Mean time between failures.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Functional safety. How do we gain traction?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Functional safety processes?
Safety Critical Criteria:
Depict Safety projects and find the essential reading for Safety researchers.
– How do you improve workforce health, safety, and security? What are your performance measures and improvement goals for each of these workforce needs and what are any significant differences in these factors and performance measures or targets for different workplace environments?
– How do you use other indicators, such as workforce retention, absenteeism, grievances, safety, and productivity, to assess and improve workforce engagement?
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Functional safety processes?
– Will the change significantly degrade safety or negatively impact adequate protection of workers, the environment, or the public?
– How do you balance the total comprehensive view of security Risk Management that incorporates safety as well as privacy in that?
– How do we ensure that implementations of Functional safety products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– Will our actions, process, program or procedure affect the health, safety and welfare of another?
– Are there any sight distance or physical obstructions that will result in a safety problem?
– What characterizes the work environment in the plants with the best safety records?
– What are the three most important things we need to focus on to improve safety?
– Are facilities and equipment adequately maintained for safety and sanitation?
– Repair, including health/safety/environmental compliance?
– Do you need to address end-user safety concerns?
Safety Integrity Level Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Safety Integrity Level strategies and summarize a clear Safety Integrity Level focus.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Functional safety project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Functional safety project lifecycle?
– What are the key elements of your Functional safety performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
Spurious Trip Level Critical Criteria:
Study Spurious Trip Level adoptions and transcribe Spurious Trip Level as tomorrows backbone for success.
– What is the total cost related to deploying Functional safety, including any consulting or professional services?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Functional safety opportunities costing us money?
– How do we Identify specific Functional safety investment and emerging trends?
System Critical Criteria:
Wrangle System tactics and acquire concise System education.
– The way blockchains are developed will shape the future landscape and the role of todays capital market participants. Is an application being introduced by existing participants, or is a new entrant looking to displace incumbents? Is the new infrastructure replacing existing processes, or is it creating a rival system?
– How transparent is the security rules/user account database made to the systems administrator by the security administrative application?
– Do operating procedures require systems to undergo a security/vulnerability scan before being placed into production?
– Are there any call deflection user stories implemented already in the existing exchange/CRM system?
– What criteria are most appropriate for assessing whether the systems attainments are adequate?
– How might a persons various social network profiles be useful for learning education and or training?
– Are there ways to get my questions answered inside the product (help features?
– What was your attendance record at your prior place of employment?
– Do you use any homegrown IT system for ERM or risk assessments?
– Can we implement the navigation system using pull-down menus?
– Are records kept of Cybersecurity access to key systems?
– Do you use any homegrown IT system for ERM or risk assessments?
– How will you know when this project is accomplished?
– Which user group(s) will have access to the system?
– How can you measure Functional safety in a systematic way?
– Can you define what cascading style sheets are?
– Risk – What are the project risks?
– What is your preferred title?
– Is there a fee for service?
– What is/ was your g.p.a.?
TÜV SÜD Critical Criteria:
Nurse TÜV SÜD planning and find answers.
– Can we add value to the current Functional safety decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Functional safety activities?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Functional safety Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Functional safety External links:
APIS IQ Software | FMEA | DRBFM | Functional Safety
IEC Functional Safety and IEC 61508
[PDF]Functional Safety for Programmable Electronics …
Automotive Safety Integrity Level External links:
Automotive Safety Integrity Level (ASIL) | exida
Automotive Safety Integrity Level – Revolvy
https://broom02.revolvy.com/topic/Automotive Safety Integrity Level
Automotive Safety Integrity Level – WOW.com
Automotive industry External links:
China – Automotive Industry | export.gov
Data Consultants – DMS Solutions for the Automotive Industry
Automotive Industry: Employment, Earnings, and Hours
Certification External links:
Online Courses and Certification Prep Classes | ed2go
National Certification Corporation – Official Site
Microsoft SQL Certification | Microsoft Learning
Failure mode, effects, and criticality analysis External links:
Failure Mode, Effects, and Criticality Analysis (FMECA)
Failure mode and effects analysis External links:
[PDF]Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
[PDF]FAILURE MODE AND EFFECTS ANALYSIS (FMEA)
[PDF]Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA) – Elsmar …
https://elsmar.com/pdf_files/FMEA and Reliability Analysis/umich.pdf
Hazard and Operability Study External links:
[PDF]Page: 1 Hazard and Operability Study: Node: Date
[PDF]HAZOP Hazard and Operability Study
IEC 61508 External links:
[PDF]Introduction to IEC 61508 – CRPIT
What is IEC 61508?
IECEE | IEC 61508-2:2010 | General Information
ISO 26262 External links:
ISO 26262 | Functional Safety | Quality-One
What Is ISO 26262? | IQS, Inc.
International Standard Book Number External links:
ISBN: International Standard Book Number for Self …
What is an ISBN (International Standard Book Number)?
Mean time between failures External links:
[PDF]MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) – General …
What Mean Time Between Failures Really Means – …
Safety External links:
Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety …
Safety Integrity Level External links:
[PDF]Methods of Determining Safety Integrity Level (SIL) – …
[PDF]UNDERSTANDING SAFETY INTEGRITY LEVEL – …
[PDF]SORInc.com Safety Integrity Level
Spurious Trip Level External links:
Plant Availability Analysis – Spurious Trip Level
SPURIOUS TRIP LEVEL Trademark Information
Spurious Trip Level – Introduction – YouTube
System External links:
Buildings Information System
TÜV SÜD External links:
TÜV SÜD – YouTube