What is involved in help desk
Find out what the related areas are that help desk connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a help desk thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its help desk journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward help desk leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which help desk related domains to cover and 182 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
help desk, Application software, Automatic call distributor, Call board, Call center, Call centre, Comparison of help desk issue tracking software, Comparison of issue tracking systems, Comparison shopping website, Computer configuration, Computer network, Computer peripheral, Computer security, Customer service, Desktop computer, Digital distribution, End user, Enterprise software, Erlang unit, Fax machines, Flower delivery, Help desk software, Information technology, Issue tracking system, Knowledge base, Mobile commerce, Mobile payment, Mobile ticketing, Online advertising, Online auction, Online banking, Online chat, Online food ordering, Online grocer, Online pharmacy, Online trading community, Online wallet, Personal digital assistant, Point of contact, Private branch exchange, Queue area, Remote Assistance Software, Social commerce, Software bug, Streaming media, Support automation, Technical support, Travel website:
help desk Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze help desk failures and point out improvements in help desk.
– The offeror will describe its service levels for fixes, help desk, etc. will it reduce its fees if the service levels are not met?
– Expose its policy engine via web services for use by third-party systems (e.g. provisioning, help desk solutions)?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate help desk delivery for example is new software needed?
– Complement identity management and help desk solutions with closedloop import and export?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing help desk? There might be some that are less obvious?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a help desk project?
– What features of the current help desk service management tool are being used?
– How has the current help desk service management tool been customized?
– Do we know the number of password problem help desk calls per month?
– What is the current help desk service management tool and version?
– How will the offeror provide support through the help desk?
– Help desk password resets easily measured (specific number?
– Number of password problem help desk calls per month?
– How does the help desk authenticate callers?
Application software Critical Criteria:
Categorize Application software issues and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Application software decisions.
– How do you manage the new access devices using their own new application software?
– Is the process effectively supported by the legacy application software?
– How do we Identify specific help desk investment and emerging trends?
– Which help desk goals are the most important?
Automatic call distributor Critical Criteria:
Audit Automatic call distributor adoptions and get going.
– For your help desk project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– What are our help desk Processes?
Call board Critical Criteria:
Derive from Call board management and display thorough understanding of the Call board process.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding help desk?
– Have all basic functions of help desk been defined?
– Are we Assessing help desk and Risk?
Call center Critical Criteria:
Survey Call center projects and document what potential Call center megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– What proportion of Customer Service calls chats could present day AI technology resolve without assistance in principle?
– What is the average supervisor to Customer Service representative ratio for a fixed route call center?
– What is the best virtual hosted PBX platform to use for our phone Customer Service team?
– What are good examples of us utilizing SMS as a Customer Service mechanism?
– How do we know that any help desk analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– Have you integrated your call center telephony to your crm application?
– What are the issues of scaling Twitter for Customer Service?
– What are the pros and cons of outsourcing Customer Service?
– How do companies apply social media to Customer Service?
– Is social media the solution to bad Customer Service?
– How do we manage help desk Knowledge Management (KM)?
– Is Twitter an effective Customer Service tool?
– Who needs to know about help desk ?
Call centre Critical Criteria:
Audit Call centre tactics and oversee Call centre management by competencies.
– Does help desk analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– Will help desk deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– What are the short and long-term help desk goals?
Comparison of help desk issue tracking software Critical Criteria:
Scan Comparison of help desk issue tracking software results and change contexts.
– What is our help desk Strategy?
Comparison of issue tracking systems Critical Criteria:
Trace Comparison of issue tracking systems engagements and look in other fields.
– Which customers cant participate in our help desk domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– How can you negotiate help desk successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
Comparison shopping website Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Comparison shopping website visions and gather practices for scaling Comparison shopping website.
– Do the help desk decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– What are the Key enablers to make this help desk move?
Computer configuration Critical Criteria:
Check Computer configuration risks and reduce Computer configuration costs.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which help desk models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Does our organization need more help desk education?
Computer network Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Computer network engagements and check on ways to get started with Computer network.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good help desk project manager?
– Is the illegal entry into a private computer network a crime in your country?
– What are specific help desk Rules to follow?
– How would one define help desk leadership?
Computer peripheral Critical Criteria:
Accelerate Computer peripheral projects and grade techniques for implementing Computer peripheral controls.
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its help desk processes?
– What is Effective help desk?
Computer security Critical Criteria:
Familiarize yourself with Computer security failures and slay a dragon.
– Does your company provide end-user training to all employees on Cybersecurity, either as part of general staff training or specifically on the topic of computer security and company policy?
– Will the selection of a particular product limit the future choices of other computer security or operational modifications and improvements?
– How do mission and objectives affect the help desk processes of our organization?
– Does the help desk task fit the clients priorities?
Customer service Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for Customer service decisions and correct Customer service management by competencies.
– Customer Service What is the future of CRM with regards to Customer Service five years from now, What Technologies would affect it the most and what trends in Customer Service landscape would we see at that time?
– Who will be responsible for leading the various bcp teams (e.g., crisis/emergency, recovery, technology, communications, facilities, Human Resources, business units and processes, Customer Service)?
– In the past year, have companies generally improved or worsened in terms of how quickly you feel they respond to you over social media channels surrounding a general inquiry or complaint?
– Why would potential clients outsource their business to us if they can perform the same level of Customer Service in house?
– Do we know what percentage of customers are likely to spend more if the Customer Service rep is helpful?
– What is your general confidence level of the quality of information Customer Service delivers?
– Would suppliers classify your organization as being one of their best or worse customers?
– When a person has a bad Customer Service experience how many people do they tell?
– If you left a message or sent an e-mail, how long was it before staff replied?
– Do you have any complaint filtering in operation within your organization?
– How often do you tell other people about your poor experience?
– Customer Service: How can social CRM improve service quality?
– Are virtual assistants the future of Customer Service?
– What do we mean by the term Customer Service ?
– What is required in a Customer Service job?
– Do we track problems, so we can improve?
– Do we like complaints?
– So WHY Do WE Care?
– What is feedback?
Desktop computer Critical Criteria:
Understand Desktop computer results and report on developing an effective Desktop computer strategy.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving help desk forward?
– Do we monitor the help desk decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– What are the Essentials of Internal help desk Management?
Digital distribution Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Digital distribution goals and develop and take control of the Digital distribution initiative.
– What are the long-term help desk goals?
End user Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on End user projects and maintain End user for success.
– Time to market improvements. Will the move to cloud computing shorten the time it takes to deliver functional enhancements to end users?
– Does the calibration lab or calibration contractor provide the end user notification of any out of tolerance conditions?
– How do the end users of cloud computing know that their information is not having any availability and security issues?
– From the end users eyes, is it possible for the change to have a major impact on services if problems occur?
– How does the vendor handle software and hardware maintenance, end user support, and maintenance agreements?
– Will the move to cloud computing shorten the time it takes to deliver functional enhancements to end users?
– Will the change have only minimal or no impact on services provided to the end users if a problem occurs?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether help desk goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– Will the change have only minor impact on services provided to the end users if problems occur?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom help desk project?
– Is the change needed to restore immediate service to the end user?
– Will the change be visible only to a small group of end users?
– Will the change be visible to a large number of end users?
– How significant is the improvement in the eyes of the end user?
– What are the usability implications of help desk actions?
– Is the change visible to all end users?
– Can all end user classes be identified?
Enterprise software Critical Criteria:
Study Enterprise software adoptions and shift your focus.
– What do you think the world of enterprise software delivery will look like in ten to fifteen years (take into account practices, technology, and user experience)?
– What is the source of the strategies for help desk strengthening and reform?
– Is your LMS integrated to your current enterprise software?
– What are all of our help desk domains and what do they do?
Erlang unit Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Erlang unit management and report on the economics of relationships managing Erlang unit and constraints.
– Is help desk Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– What potential environmental factors impact the help desk effort?
– Are assumptions made in help desk stated explicitly?
Fax machines Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Fax machines projects and oversee Fax machines requirements.
– What are your most important goals for the strategic help desk objectives?
Flower delivery Critical Criteria:
Categorize Flower delivery results and separate what are the business goals Flower delivery is aiming to achieve.
– Who sets the help desk standards?
Help desk software Critical Criteria:
Boost Help desk software decisions and forecast involvement of future Help desk software projects in development.
– What are the business goals help desk is aiming to achieve?
– What about help desk Analysis of results?
Information technology Critical Criteria:
Meet over Information technology visions and integrate design thinking in Information technology innovation.
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for help desk strengthening and reform actually originate?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
Issue tracking system Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Issue tracking system outcomes and devise Issue tracking system key steps.
– What is the purpose of help desk in relation to the mission?
Knowledge base Critical Criteria:
Grade Knowledge base leadership and raise human resource and employment practices for Knowledge base.
– Do we support the certified Cybersecurity professional and cyber-informed operations and engineering professionals with advanced problem-solving tools, communities of practice, canonical knowledge bases, and other performance support tools?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a help desk project?
– Can specialized social networks replace learning management systems?
– How do we Lead with help desk in Mind?
Mobile commerce Critical Criteria:
Consider Mobile commerce adoptions and adopt an insight outlook.
– Does help desk include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a help desk study?
– What will drive help desk change?
Mobile payment Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Mobile payment visions and prioritize challenges of Mobile payment.
– In what ways are help desk vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the help desk requirements in detail?
– What killer use cases in mobile payments have not been considered?
– Will mobile payments ever replace credit cards?
Mobile ticketing Critical Criteria:
Audit Mobile ticketing adoptions and oversee Mobile ticketing management by competencies.
– Does help desk analysis show the relationships among important help desk factors?
Online advertising Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Online advertising goals and oversee implementation of Online advertising.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a help desk process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the help desk process available?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed help desk opportunities costing us money?
Online auction Critical Criteria:
Powwow over Online auction failures and test out new things.
Online banking Critical Criteria:
Focus on Online banking visions and budget for Online banking challenges.
– What are our needs in relation to help desk skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Why is help desk important for you now?
– What threat is help desk addressing?
Online chat Critical Criteria:
Focus on Online chat management and get out your magnifying glass.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect help desk workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– What kinds of support services (e.g., via e-mail, phone calls, online chat) does the provider offer to its customers and in which languages?
– What alternatives do the vendors offer for contacting technical support (e.g., email, telephone, online chat, and web-based reporting)?
Online food ordering Critical Criteria:
Pilot Online food ordering leadership and figure out ways to motivate other Online food ordering users.
– Think about the people you identified for your help desk project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– Is help desk dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
Online grocer Critical Criteria:
Refer to Online grocer outcomes and oversee Online grocer requirements.
– Think about the functions involved in your help desk project. what processes flow from these functions?
Online pharmacy Critical Criteria:
Have a round table over Online pharmacy visions and oversee Online pharmacy management by competencies.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with help desk ?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of help desk that make it risky?
Online trading community Critical Criteria:
Guard Online trading community outcomes and slay a dragon.
– Do we have past help desk Successes?
Online wallet Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Online wallet outcomes and gather practices for scaling Online wallet.
– How do we keep improving help desk?
Personal digital assistant Critical Criteria:
Deduce Personal digital assistant goals and display thorough understanding of the Personal digital assistant process.
– What support does the IT Security product provide for laptops/notebooks, personal digital assistants (PDA), and IP-based phones?
– Who will provide the final approval of help desk deliverables?
– How can we improve help desk?
Point of contact Critical Criteria:
Survey Point of contact engagements and ask questions.
Private branch exchange Critical Criteria:
Model after Private branch exchange visions and reduce Private branch exchange costs.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a help desk strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of help desk moving forward?
Queue area Critical Criteria:
Have a round table over Queue area planning and innovate what needs to be done with Queue area.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if help desk does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
Remote Assistance Software Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Remote Assistance Software outcomes and track iterative Remote Assistance Software results.
– What are the key elements of your help desk performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that help desk objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
Social commerce Critical Criteria:
Investigate Social commerce issues and assess and formulate effective operational and Social commerce strategies.
– What vendors make products that address the help desk needs?
Software bug Critical Criteria:
Start Software bug failures and integrate design thinking in Software bug innovation.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective help desk leader?
– Think of your help desk project. what are the main functions?
– How do we go about Securing help desk?
Streaming media Critical Criteria:
Review Streaming media goals and shift your focus.
Support automation Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Support automation adoptions and attract Support automation skills.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once help desk is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Is the scope of help desk defined?
Technical support Critical Criteria:
Confer over Technical support projects and adopt an insight outlook.
– If technical support services are included, what is the vendors commitment to timely response?
– Is there any existing help desk governance structure?
– How do we go about Comparing help desk approaches/solutions?
Travel website Critical Criteria:
Unify Travel website management and proactively manage Travel website risks.
– How do we measure improved help desk service perception, and satisfaction?
– Is Supporting help desk documentation required?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the help desk Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
help desk External links:
Help Desk – Helpdesk Software Login
Login – TCC Help Desk
ND University System Help Desk | NDUS CTS
Application software External links:
Chapter 3 – Application Software
Title application software Free Download for Windows
Automatic call distributor External links:
ACDnxt (Automatic Call Distributor) – va.gov
ACDnxt (Automatic Call Distributor)
What is an Automatic Call Distributor (ACD)? | Talkdesk
Call board External links:
[PDF]ROLL CALL BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: ALSO …
FAQs « One Call Board of Texas
Notification Centers « One Call Board of Texas
Call center External links:
Call Center | Answering Service | Home Page
LeadMailbox | Lead Management | Call Center | Sales CRM
WorkforceScheduling.com – call center workforce …
Call centre External links:
i24 Call Management Solutions – Canadian Bilingual Call Centre
Datablazers Inc. | Your Trusted Data and Call Centre Partner
Comparison of issue tracking systems External links:
Comparison of issue tracking systems – GitHub
Computer configuration External links:
Computer Configurations – technet.microsoft.com
MTM Software – Detect Computer Configuration …
Computer Configuration Check – Tribridge
Computer network External links:
15-1152.00 – Computer Network Support Specialists
Computer Networks – Journal – Elsevier
What is a Computer Network? Webopedia Definition
Computer peripheral External links:
computer peripheral | Definition & Examples | Britannica.com
Computer security External links:
UC San Diego Health System Computer Security
Computer Security | Consumer Information
See shopping results for computer security
Customer service External links:
Entergy Online Customer Service Center
Capital One Customer Service | Contact Us
Customer Service – Equifax
Desktop computer External links:
HP PCs – Cannot Start Desktop Computer From a …
Download Skype for Desktop Computer | Skype
www.bhphotovideo.com › … › Desktop Computers
Digital distribution External links:
Woovit, a digital distribution platform
Record Union – Digital distribution & artist opportunities
Digital Distribution to World’s Largest VOD Platforms
End user External links:
JPRS end user login
CWPS End User Training Portal – Authentication Required
End User License Agreement
Enterprise software External links:
Aspen Grove Solutions – Property Enterprise Software
Codete – Web, Mobile and Enterprise Software House
Provoke | Home | Enterprise Software Solutions
Fax machines External links:
Brother Fax Machines
Fax Machines at Office Depot OfficeMax
HP HP Fax Machines | HP® Customer Support
Flower delivery External links:
Flower Delivery – Send Flowers | Just Flowers
Flower Patch – Utah Florist and Flower Delivery Service
Same Day Flower Delivery | FromYouFlowers®
Help desk software External links:
LiveHelpNow – Help Desk Software for Customer Service
rhinosupport.com – Help Desk Software – Customer …
ITIL Service Management – Help Desk Software
Information technology External links:
OHIO: Office of Information Technology |About Email
IUanyWare | University Information Technology Services
Umail | University Information Technology Services
Issue tracking system External links:
issue tracking system – Wiktionary
System Dashboard – Kapsch Software Issue Tracking System
Knowledge base External links:
Welcome to the BroadCloud Knowledge Base
Star2Star Communications Knowledge Base
Constant Contact Knowledge Base
Mobile commerce External links:
ActionX: We Drive Mobile Commerce | Mobile Retargeting
Pixavo: Technology Powering Next Generation Mobile Commerce
Ready for Next – Mobile Commerce – CyberSource
Mobile payment External links:
Mobile payment (eBook, 2013) [WorldCat.org]
Mobile Payment Site – weber.edu
Why the U.S. Lags the World in Mobile Payments – TIME
Mobile ticketing External links:
Split Season Tickets | Mobile Ticketing App | Season Share
Bus Wi-Fi and Mobile Ticketing Experts – Mobile Onboard
http://Mobile ticketing is the process whereby customers can order, pay for, obtain and/or validate tickets using mobile phones or other mobile handsets. Mobile tickets reduce the production and distribution costs connected with traditional paper-based ticketing channels and increase customer convenience by providing new and simple ways to purchase tickets.
Online advertising External links:
Google PPC Online Advertising | Google AdWords – Google
Deshmedia – Online Advertising platform
Online auction External links:
Biddergy – Worldwide Online Auction and Liquidation Services
BIDRL.COM Online Auction Marketplace
Bid Venues – Online Auction Company Covering the …
Online banking External links:
Huntington Online Banking Login | Huntington
Capital One Sign In – Access Personal Online Banking …
Bank of America | Online Banking | Sign In | Online ID
Online chat External links:
Chatroom Flirt | Online Chat Dating
ChatAdda – Online Chat Rooms, Chat With Girls & Boys …
The Restaurant Store Online Chat
Online food ordering External links:
Online Food Ordering and Delivery Script | Foodpanda Clone
Online food ordering system Essay Example for Free
Online grocer External links:
onlinegrocer.ca – Online Grocer – zonwhois.com
Online pharmacy External links:
Canada Online Pharmacy Tadalafil — RxBuy
Online Pharmacy Australia Cialis — RxBuy
Online trading community External links:
Online Trading Community – Home | Facebook
The Exchange | Questrade’s online trading community
Online wallet External links:
OTTOCOIN dot Cash – OTC Online Wallet
MyNXT – NXT Online Wallet Evolved
Point of contact External links:
State Single Point of Contact (SPOC) | opgs
Site Point of Contact Portal
Point of Contact | CapitalSource
Private branch exchange External links:
About the Symantec Private Branch Exchange
PBX (private branch exchange) – Gartner IT Glossary
Queue area External links:
Grizzly River Run queue area – pinterest.com
Social commerce External links:
Social Commerce for Shopify – SocialShopWave
HotProspects – A Global Social Commerce Platform
Smalltell – Social Commerce
Software bug External links:
Software Bug Report – Formsite
What is Software Bug? – Definition from Techopedia
Streaming media External links:
Streaming Media & Television | senate.ca.gov
www.amazon.com › … › Television & Video › Streaming Media Players
Streaming Media Player | eBay
Support automation External links:
Ada — Support automation made simple
Run-time error ‘430’: Class does not support Automation …
Support Automation and Insight Remote Support | HPE™
Technical support External links:
Symantec Enterprise Technical Support
iYogi Technical Support
Technical Support Working Group (TSWG) | CTTSO
Travel website External links:
TripSmarter.Com – The Travel Website of Destination …
Taos Ski Valley Official Tourism and Travel Website
Log In – Delta Professional Corporate Travel Website