What is involved in Linux on z Systems
Find out what the related areas are that Linux on z Systems connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Linux on z Systems thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Linux on z Systems journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Linux on z Systems leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Linux on z Systems related domains to cover and 125 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Linux on z Systems, Cross compiler, Operating system, Free Software Magazine, Open source, Linux Foundation, GNU/Linux naming controversy, Linux Voice, Project Monterey, Ubuntu Linux, Linux adoption, Security-focused operating system, Rule of thumb, OS/VS1 BPE, IBM Global Services, Concurrent Versions System, Full Circle, Project Trillian, Mean time between failures, RDMA over Converged Ethernet, Linux Counter, Linux Magazine, Network interface card, VM/XA MA, Linux Journal, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, Linux kernel, Tanenbaum–Torvalds debate, Ubuntu User, SAP R/3, Linux for mobile devices, Linux on embedded systems, VM/XA SF, Digital media, Linux on z Systems, IBM AIX, Oracle database, SCO–Linux controversies, Linux Gazette, Linux desktop environments, GNU Compiler Collection, Transaction Processing Facility, Comparison of netbook-oriented Linux distributions, Data center infrastructure management, SAP ERP:
Linux on z Systems Critical Criteria:
Give examples of Linux on z Systems leadership and test out new things.
– Does Linux on z Systems analysis show the relationships among important Linux on z Systems factors?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Linux on z Systems?
– How can you measure Linux on z Systems in a systematic way?
Cross compiler Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Cross compiler tasks and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Cross compiler.
– Is there any existing Linux on z Systems governance structure?
– Is Supporting Linux on z Systems documentation required?
Operating system Critical Criteria:
Study Operating system planning and describe the risks of Operating system sustainability.
– If the firewall runs on an individual host for which all users are not trusted system administrators, how vulnerable is it to tampering by a user logged into the operating system running on the protected hosts?
– In a virtualized data center, guest operating system kernels were modified to eliminate the need for binary translation. which compute virtualization technique was used?
– What should an organization consider before migrating its applications and operating system to the public cloud to prevent vendor lock-in?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Linux on z Systems is underway?
– What operating systems are used for student computers, devices, laptops, etc.?
– How do we Improve Linux on z Systems service perception, and satisfaction?
– What operating system does your computer use?
– How can skill-level changes improve Linux on z Systems?
– Is unauthorized access to operating systems prevented?
Free Software Magazine Critical Criteria:
Sort Free Software Magazine leadership and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Free Software Magazine projects.
– What are current Linux on z Systems Paradigms?
Open source Critical Criteria:
Systematize Open source outcomes and mentor Open source customer orientation.
– Is there any open source personal cloud software which provides privacy and ease of use 1 click app installs cross platform html5?
– How much do political issues impact on the decision in open source projects and how does this ultimately impact on innovation?
– What are the different RDBMS (commercial and open source) options available in the cloud today?
– Is open source software development faster, better, and cheaper than software engineering?
– Vetter, Infectious Open Source Software: Spreading Incentives or Promoting Resistance?
– What are some good open source projects for the internet of things?
– What are the best open source solutions for data loss prevention?
– Is open source software development essentially an agile method?
– Is there an open source alternative to adobe captivate?
– What can a cms do for an open source project?
– What are the open source alternatives to Moodle?
Linux Foundation Critical Criteria:
Group Linux Foundation issues and define Linux Foundation competency-based leadership.
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Linux on z Systems project?
– How do we know that any Linux on z Systems analysis is complete and comprehensive?
GNU/Linux naming controversy Critical Criteria:
Consult on GNU/Linux naming controversy engagements and gather GNU/Linux naming controversy models .
– What are the barriers to increased Linux on z Systems production?
– How would one define Linux on z Systems leadership?
– Are we Assessing Linux on z Systems and Risk?
Linux Voice Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Linux Voice visions and slay a dragon.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Linux on z Systems goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Linux on z Systems Management?
Project Monterey Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Project Monterey decisions and check on ways to get started with Project Monterey.
– what is the best design framework for Linux on z Systems organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– Will Linux on z Systems deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Ubuntu Linux Critical Criteria:
Probe Ubuntu Linux strategies and figure out ways to motivate other Ubuntu Linux users.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Linux on z Systems forward?
– What vendors make products that address the Linux on z Systems needs?
– What are all of our Linux on z Systems domains and what do they do?
Linux adoption Critical Criteria:
Learn from Linux adoption visions and intervene in Linux adoption processes and leadership.
– What are our needs in relation to Linux on z Systems skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Linux on z Systems study?
– How to deal with Linux on z Systems Changes?
Security-focused operating system Critical Criteria:
Incorporate Security-focused operating system adoptions and define what our big hairy audacious Security-focused operating system goal is.
– How can you negotiate Linux on z Systems successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– How do we go about Comparing Linux on z Systems approaches/solutions?
– Are there recognized Linux on z Systems problems?
Rule of thumb Critical Criteria:
Focus on Rule of thumb outcomes and arbitrate Rule of thumb techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Linux on z Systems project?
– What are internal and external Linux on z Systems relations?
OS/VS1 BPE Critical Criteria:
Use past OS/VS1 BPE tactics and give examples utilizing a core of simple OS/VS1 BPE skills.
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Linux on z Systems process?
– Does the Linux on z Systems task fit the clients priorities?
– Which Linux on z Systems goals are the most important?
IBM Global Services Critical Criteria:
Reorganize IBM Global Services strategies and ask questions.
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Linux on z Systems project?
– How do we manage Linux on z Systems Knowledge Management (KM)?
– How will you measure your Linux on z Systems effectiveness?
Concurrent Versions System Critical Criteria:
See the value of Concurrent Versions System failures and find answers.
– How do we Identify specific Linux on z Systems investment and emerging trends?
Full Circle Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Full Circle failures and explore and align the progress in Full Circle.
– Can we add value to the current Linux on z Systems decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Linux on z Systems been identified and analyzed?
– How do we go about Securing Linux on z Systems?
Project Trillian Critical Criteria:
Examine Project Trillian visions and optimize Project Trillian leadership as a key to advancement.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Linux on z Systems in a volatile global economy?
– Can we do Linux on z Systems without complex (expensive) analysis?
Mean time between failures Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Mean time between failures strategies and shift your focus.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Linux on z Systems models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Linux on z Systems effort?
RDMA over Converged Ethernet Critical Criteria:
Participate in RDMA over Converged Ethernet engagements and look in other fields.
– Think about the people you identified for your Linux on z Systems project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– What is our formula for success in Linux on z Systems ?
– What will drive Linux on z Systems change?
Linux Counter Critical Criteria:
Use past Linux Counter failures and report on setting up Linux Counter without losing ground.
– Think about the functions involved in your Linux on z Systems project. what processes flow from these functions?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Linux on z Systems activities?
– Who will provide the final approval of Linux on z Systems deliverables?
Linux Magazine Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Linux Magazine decisions and define what our big hairy audacious Linux Magazine goal is.
– Do those selected for the Linux on z Systems team have a good general understanding of what Linux on z Systems is all about?
– How do we ensure that implementations of Linux on z Systems products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– Does Linux on z Systems analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
Network interface card Critical Criteria:
Consider Network interface card decisions and document what potential Network interface card megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Linux on z Systems workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Linux on z Systems? There might be some that are less obvious?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Linux on z Systems that make it risky?
VM/XA MA Critical Criteria:
Consult on VM/XA MA risks and adopt an insight outlook.
Linux Journal Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Linux Journal engagements and learn.
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Linux on z Systems processes?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Linux on z Systems requirements in detail?
– What are our Linux on z Systems Processes?
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server Critical Criteria:
Design SUSE Linux Enterprise Server results and oversee SUSE Linux Enterprise Server requirements.
– Are there Linux on z Systems Models?
Linux kernel Critical Criteria:
Scan Linux kernel management and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Linux kernel projects.
Tanenbaum–Torvalds debate Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Tanenbaum–Torvalds debate outcomes and adjust implementation of Tanenbaum–Torvalds debate.
– How likely is the current Linux on z Systems plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– What are the short and long-term Linux on z Systems goals?
Ubuntu User Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Ubuntu User management and differentiate in coordinating Ubuntu User.
– What about Linux on z Systems Analysis of results?
SAP R/3 Critical Criteria:
Revitalize SAP R/3 tasks and oversee SAP R/3 requirements.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Linux on z Systems ?
Linux for mobile devices Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on Linux for mobile devices projects and perfect Linux for mobile devices conflict management.
– For your Linux on z Systems project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– How will you know that the Linux on z Systems project has been successful?
– How is the value delivered by Linux on z Systems being measured?
Linux on embedded systems Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Linux on embedded systems planning and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Linux on embedded systems.
– Do we all define Linux on z Systems in the same way?
VM/XA SF Critical Criteria:
Experiment with VM/XA SF planning and maintain VM/XA SF for success.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Linux on z Systems project manager?
Digital media Critical Criteria:
Define Digital media outcomes and report on developing an effective Digital media strategy.
– Is maximizing Linux on z Systems protection the same as minimizing Linux on z Systems loss?
– When a Linux on z Systems manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
Linux on z Systems Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize Linux on z Systems failures and oversee implementation of Linux on z Systems.
IBM AIX Critical Criteria:
Probe IBM AIX adoptions and report on developing an effective IBM AIX strategy.
Oracle database Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Oracle database projects and pay attention to the small things.
– What are the business goals Linux on z Systems is aiming to achieve?
SCO–Linux controversies Critical Criteria:
Check SCO–Linux controversies leadership and acquire concise SCO–Linux controversies education.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Linux on z Systems processes?
– Have all basic functions of Linux on z Systems been defined?
Linux Gazette Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Linux Gazette tactics and display thorough understanding of the Linux Gazette process.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Linux on z Systems processes?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Linux on z Systems objectives?
Linux desktop environments Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Linux desktop environments decisions and interpret which customers can’t participate in Linux desktop environments because they lack skills.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Linux on z Systems project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Linux on z Systems project lifecycle?
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Linux on z Systems?
– Why is Linux on z Systems important for you now?
GNU Compiler Collection Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze GNU Compiler Collection results and mentor GNU Compiler Collection customer orientation.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Linux on z Systems experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Linux on z Systems moving forward?
– Think of your Linux on z Systems project. what are the main functions?
Transaction Processing Facility Critical Criteria:
Administer Transaction Processing Facility decisions and integrate design thinking in Transaction Processing Facility innovation.
Comparison of netbook-oriented Linux distributions Critical Criteria:
Design Comparison of netbook-oriented Linux distributions management and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Comparison of netbook-oriented Linux distributions projects.
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Linux on z Systems leaders?
– What are specific Linux on z Systems Rules to follow?
Data center infrastructure management Critical Criteria:
Consult on Data center infrastructure management results and perfect Data center infrastructure management conflict management.
– In what ways are Linux on z Systems vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Linux on z Systems?
SAP ERP Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about SAP ERP tactics and look in other fields.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Linux on z Systems strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– R/3 Enterprise or MySAP ERP ?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Linux on z Systems Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Cross compiler External links:
Operating system External links:
nCino Bank Operating System
Find Out Which Operating System Is on My Computer …
Which Windows operating system am I running?
Open source External links:
Secret Energy – Open Source Spirituality
http://In production and development, open source as a development model promotes a universal access via a free license to a product’s design or blueprint, and universal redistribution of that design or blueprint, including subsequent improvements to it by anyone. Before the phrase open source became widely adopted, developers and producers used a variety of other terms. Open source gained hold with the rise of the Internet, and the attendant need for massive retooling of the computing source code. Opening the source code enabled a self-enhancing diversity of production models, communication paths, and interactive communities. The open-source software movement arose to clarify the environment that the new copyright, licensing, domain, and consumer issues created. Generally, open source refers to a computer program in which the source code is available to the general public for use and/or modification from its original design. Open-source code is typically a collaborative effort where programmers improve upon the source code and share the changes within the community so that other members can help improve it further.
Open Source Integration Experts | Shadow-Soft
Linux Foundation External links:
Linux Foundation Membership – The Linux Foundation
Home – Linux Foundation Events
Learn For Free – Linux Foundation Training
GNU/Linux naming controversy External links:
GNU/Linux Naming Controversy // Vlog – YouTube
GNU/Linux naming controversy – Infogalactic: the …
GNU/Linux naming controversy – Sensagent.com
http://dictionary.sensagent.com/gnu linux naming controversy/en-en
Linux Voice External links:
Linux Voice Videos – YouTube
The State Of Linux Voice Recognition – Lifewire
Linux Voice – Home | Facebook
Ubuntu Linux External links:
Ubuntu linux 1 Flashcards | Quizlet
Ubuntu linux 3B Flashcards | Quizlet
How to Burn a CD in Ubuntu Linux: 5 Steps (with Pictures)
Linux adoption External links:
Is Linux Adoption Slowing Down? – Barron’s
Rule of thumb External links:
Rule of thumb – Everything2.com
‘Rule of thumb’ – the meaning and origin of this phrase
rule of thumb – Wiktionary
IBM Global Services External links:
Manager Resume Example (IBM Global Services) – …
Concurrent Versions System External links:
CVS–Concurrent Versions System – annotate
CVS–Concurrent Versions System v220.127.116.11 – Troubleshooting
CVS–Concurrent Versions System – Branching and merging
Mean time between failures External links:
What Mean Time Between Failures Really Means – …
How is MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) Calculated?
CARE® Reliability Software | Mean Time Between Failures
RDMA over Converged Ethernet External links:
What is RDMA over Converged Ethernet (RoCE)? – YouTube
[PDF]RDMA over Converged Ethernet (RoCE) Fact Sheet
[PDF]RDMA over Converged Ethernet – InfiniBand Trade – IBTA
Linux Counter External links:
Linux Counter – revolvy.com
Linux Counter – Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
Linux Magazine External links:
Concurrent and Parallel Are Not The Same | Linux Magazine
GNU/Linux Magazine · GitHub
What’s an inode? | Linux Magazine
Network interface card External links:
Buy Realtek Chipset Gigabit PCI Express Ethernet Network Interface Card with Low Profile Bracket (No Software)): Network Adapters – Amazon.com FREE …
DHCP network interface card bindings – technet.microsoft.com
How to find my Network Interface Card number – Quora
Linux Journal External links:
Ceph: Open-Source SDS | Linux Journal
A Handy U-Boot Trick | Linux Journal
Linux Journal | Flickr
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server External links:
Download this app from Microsoft Store for Windows 10. See screenshots, read the latest customer reviews, and compare ratings for SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12.
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) for VMware: …
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server VM (SLES 12)
Linux kernel External links:
Linux kernel mailing list – Official Site
Why we use the Linux kernel’s TCP stack – Cloudflare Blog
Linux kernel – Official Site
Ubuntu User External links:
New Ubuntu User: How To Install Themes And Icons In Ubuntu
An Ubuntu User’s Review Of Dell XPS 13 Ubuntu Edition
SAP R/3 External links:
ReadSoft DOCUMENTS For SAP R/3 – ReadSoft, Inc.
What is IMG settings in SAP R/3? | SAP Software
Summary Page: SAP R/3 Release 4.6 Fundamentals
Linux for mobile devices External links:
Linux for mobile devices – update.revolvy.com
https://update.revolvy.com/topic/Linux for mobile devices
Verizon Joins Linux for Mobile Devices | Linux Journal
Linux for mobile devices – Revolvy
https://topics.revolvy.com/topic/Linux for mobile devices
Linux on embedded systems External links:
myBots | Linux on Embedded systems
Linux on embedded systems – Revolvy
https://update.revolvy.com/topic/Linux on embedded systems
Security Enhanced Linux on embedded systems: A …
Digital media External links:
Digital Media | Digital Content Marketing US : TEGNA
Examples of digital media types include: Windows Media Audio (WMA), Windows Media Video (WMV), MP3, JPEG, and AVI.
Indiana Digital Media – OverDrive
IBM AIX External links:
CIS IBM AIX Benchmark – CIS Center for Internet Security
IBM AIX OS levels supported by XL Compilers – United States
IBM AIX support lifecycle information – United States
Oracle database External links:
Page Title – Oracle Database
FREE download Oracle Database Tables – WinSite
Linux Gazette External links:
configure; make; make install – Linux Gazette – TLDP
Linux Gazette : Authors : Kiniti Patrick
Linux Gazette : FAQ
Linux desktop environments External links:
10 Best and Most Popular Linux Desktop Environments of …
Five Best Linux Desktop Environments – Lifehacker
10 Best Linux Desktop Environments And Their …
GNU Compiler Collection External links:
gnu compiler collection -7.2.0 source code : Free …
[PDF]Using the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC)
GNU Compiler Collection – Rosetta Code
Transaction Processing Facility External links:
[PDF]IBM z/Transaction Processing Facility: Overview …
IBM z/Transaction Processing Facility
IBM z/Transaction Processing Facility
Comparison of netbook-oriented Linux distributions External links:
Comparison of netbook-oriented Linux distributions – …
Comparison of netbook-oriented Linux distributions – …