What is involved in Software-Defined Security
Find out what the related areas are that Software-Defined Security connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Software-Defined Security thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Software-Defined Security journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Software-Defined Security leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Software-Defined Security related domains to cover and 120 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Software-Defined Security, Software-defined networking, AT&T Labs, Active networking, Application-specific integrated circuit, Bare metal, Cellular network, Cisco Systems, Cloud computing, Content-addressable memory, Core network, IEEE 802.1aq, Integrated Services Digital Network, Intel Data Plane Development Kit, Local area network, Network functions virtualization, Network packet, Network switch, Network virtualization platform, Northbound interface, OSI model, OpenDaylight Project, Open Networking Foundation, Open vSwitch, Operating system, Operations support system, Radio access network, Shortest path bridging, Software-defined data center, Software-defined mobile network, Software-defined protection, Traffic flow, Transmission Control Protocol, UC Berkeley, User Datagram Protocol, Wide Area Network:
Software-Defined Security Critical Criteria:
Study Software-Defined Security management and catalog what business benefits will Software-Defined Security goals deliver if achieved.
– what is the best design framework for Software-Defined Security organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Software-Defined Security processes?
– What threat is Software-Defined Security addressing?
Software-defined networking Critical Criteria:
Grasp Software-defined networking results and revise understanding of Software-defined networking architectures.
– What are our needs in relation to Software-Defined Security skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Software-Defined Security effort?
– Are there Software-Defined Security Models?
AT&T Labs Critical Criteria:
Deliberate AT&T Labs goals and don’t overlook the obvious.
– For your Software-Defined Security project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Think about the functions involved in your Software-Defined Security project. what processes flow from these functions?
– Why is Software-Defined Security important for you now?
Active networking Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize Active networking tasks and change contexts.
– Do Software-Defined Security rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– Which Software-Defined Security goals are the most important?
– What are the long-term Software-Defined Security goals?
Application-specific integrated circuit Critical Criteria:
Understand Application-specific integrated circuit leadership and develop and take control of the Application-specific integrated circuit initiative.
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Software-Defined Security study?
– Are we Assessing Software-Defined Security and Risk?
– How can we improve Software-Defined Security?
Bare metal Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Bare metal risks and tour deciding if Bare metal progress is made.
– How do we know that any Software-Defined Security analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– What are our Software-Defined Security Processes?
Cellular network Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Cellular network strategies and explain and analyze the challenges of Cellular network.
– What is the purpose of Software-Defined Security in relation to the mission?
– What is our formula for success in Software-Defined Security ?
– Do we all define Software-Defined Security in the same way?
Cisco Systems Critical Criteria:
Deduce Cisco Systems planning and transcribe Cisco Systems as tomorrows backbone for success.
– What are the barriers to increased Software-Defined Security production?
– Why are Software-Defined Security skills important?
Cloud computing Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Cloud computing projects and customize techniques for implementing Cloud computing controls.
– Governance: Is there a governance structure to ensure that PII is managed and protected through its life cycle, even when it is stored or processed in a cloud computing environment?
– What are the specific security and integrity threats to cloud computing storage systems that do not exist in private data centers?
– How do the end users of cloud computing know that their information is not having any availability and security issues?
– What is the security gap between private cloud cloud computing versus client server computing architectures?
– There are issues relating to policy and access. if your data is stored abroad whose policy do you adhere to?
– Data segregation: will the financial institutions data share resources with data from other cloud clients?
– How do you prove data provenance in a cloud computing scenario when you are using shared resources?
– What are the key business and technical challenges of transitioning to a cloud computing strategy?
– What new opportunities are either enabled by or potential drivers of cloud computing?
– what is the difference between an application service and an infrastructure service?
– In which ways will Cloud Computing influence our approach Service Management
– Is cloud computing a threat to the real sense of ownership?
– What is the importance of standards-based cloud computing?
– Is cloud computing affecting traditional hardware vendors?
– Networks that are flexible, well-performing, and secure?
– What are the security concerns with cloud computing?
– Resource provisioning algos in cloud computing?
– What are reasons to say no to cloud computing?
– What is a benefit of cloud computing?
Content-addressable memory Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Content-addressable memory visions and triple focus on important concepts of Content-addressable memory relationship management.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Software-Defined Security?
– Is Software-Defined Security dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– How much does Software-Defined Security help?
Core network Critical Criteria:
Talk about Core network governance and innovate what needs to be done with Core network.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Software-Defined Security strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Software-Defined Security activities?
– How is the value delivered by Software-Defined Security being measured?
IEEE 802.1aq Critical Criteria:
Contribute to IEEE 802.1aq visions and oversee IEEE 802.1aq requirements.
– Do those selected for the Software-Defined Security team have a good general understanding of what Software-Defined Security is all about?
– To what extent does management recognize Software-Defined Security as a tool to increase the results?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Software-Defined Security objectives?
Integrated Services Digital Network Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Integrated Services Digital Network leadership and gather practices for scaling Integrated Services Digital Network.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Software-Defined Security?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Software-Defined Security moving forward?
– How do we go about Securing Software-Defined Security?
Intel Data Plane Development Kit Critical Criteria:
Mix Intel Data Plane Development Kit tactics and correct Intel Data Plane Development Kit management by competencies.
– Does Software-Defined Security systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Software-Defined Security been identified and analyzed?
– Do we have past Software-Defined Security Successes?
Local area network Critical Criteria:
Frame Local area network issues and proactively manage Local area network risks.
– A virtual local area network (vlan) is a physical grouping of network devices within a larger network. true or false?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Software-Defined Security activities?
Network functions virtualization Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Network functions virtualization results and grade techniques for implementing Network functions virtualization controls.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Software-Defined Security process?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Software-Defined Security is underway?
Network packet Critical Criteria:
Generalize Network packet goals and research ways can we become the Network packet company that would put us out of business.
– Think about the people you identified for your Software-Defined Security project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Software-Defined Security Management?
– How will you measure your Software-Defined Security effectiveness?
Network switch Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Network switch goals and clarify ways to gain access to competitive Network switch services.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Software-Defined Security? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– What is Effective Software-Defined Security?
Network virtualization platform Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Network virtualization platform failures and pioneer acquisition of Network virtualization platform systems.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Software-Defined Security forward?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Software-Defined Security?
Northbound interface Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Northbound interface decisions and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Northbound interface.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Software-Defined Security services/products?
– What business benefits will Software-Defined Security goals deliver if achieved?
OSI model Critical Criteria:
Focus on OSI model visions and plan concise OSI model education.
– Consider your own Software-Defined Security project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Software-Defined Security into the services that we provide?
OpenDaylight Project Critical Criteria:
Have a session on OpenDaylight Project tactics and find out what it really means.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Software-Defined Security agendas for the next 3 years?
– How can the value of Software-Defined Security be defined?
– Why should we adopt a Software-Defined Security framework?
Open Networking Foundation Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Open Networking Foundation issues and remodel and develop an effective Open Networking Foundation strategy.
– In the case of a Software-Defined Security project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Software-Defined Security project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Software-Defined Security project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– Which customers cant participate in our Software-Defined Security domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Have you identified your Software-Defined Security key performance indicators?
Open vSwitch Critical Criteria:
Recall Open vSwitch visions and probe the present value of growth of Open vSwitch.
– Does Software-Defined Security include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– Is Supporting Software-Defined Security documentation required?
Operating system Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize Operating system planning and improve Operating system service perception.
– If the firewall runs on an individual host for which all users are not trusted system administrators, how vulnerable is it to tampering by a user logged into the operating system running on the protected hosts?
– In a virtualized data center, guest operating system kernels were modified to eliminate the need for binary translation. which compute virtualization technique was used?
– What should an organization consider before migrating its applications and operating system to the public cloud to prevent vendor lock-in?
– What operating systems are used for student computers, devices, laptops, etc.?
– How would one define Software-Defined Security leadership?
– What operating system does your computer use?
– Is unauthorized access to operating systems prevented?
Operations support system Critical Criteria:
Face Operations support system issues and drive action.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Software-Defined Security is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Software-Defined Security goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– Can we do Software-Defined Security without complex (expensive) analysis?
Radio access network Critical Criteria:
Reason over Radio access network outcomes and ask what if.
Shortest path bridging Critical Criteria:
Devise Shortest path bridging visions and look in other fields.
– How important is Software-Defined Security to the user organizations mission?
Software-defined data center Critical Criteria:
Track Software-defined data center strategies and do something to it.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Software-Defined Security does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Software-Defined Security project manager?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Software-Defined Security that make it risky?
Software-defined mobile network Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Software-defined mobile network tactics and question.
– How do mission and objectives affect the Software-Defined Security processes of our organization?
– How do we keep improving Software-Defined Security?
Software-defined protection Critical Criteria:
Grasp Software-defined protection failures and summarize a clear Software-defined protection focus.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Software-Defined Security opportunities costing us money?
– Think of your Software-Defined Security project. what are the main functions?
Traffic flow Critical Criteria:
Consult on Traffic flow adoptions and finalize specific methods for Traffic flow acceptance.
– How do we Identify specific Software-Defined Security investment and emerging trends?
– How do we go about Comparing Software-Defined Security approaches/solutions?
– Is the scope of Software-Defined Security defined?
Transmission Control Protocol Critical Criteria:
Design Transmission Control Protocol tactics and get out your magnifying glass.
– Is there any existing Software-Defined Security governance structure?
– Does our organization need more Software-Defined Security education?
UC Berkeley Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on UC Berkeley leadership and optimize UC Berkeley leadership as a key to advancement.
– What are the Key enablers to make this Software-Defined Security move?
User Datagram Protocol Critical Criteria:
Consider User Datagram Protocol tactics and be persistent.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Software-Defined Security experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Software-Defined Security process?
Wide Area Network Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot Wide Area Network projects and question.
– Are accountability and ownership for Software-Defined Security clearly defined?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Software-Defined Security Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Software-defined networking External links:
Active networking External links:
The Art of Active Networking -Los Angeles (West …
The Art of Active Networking – Home | Facebook
Bare metal External links:
What is bare metal environment? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Bare Metal on Steam
Bare Metal Restore to a Smaller Partition (189589)
Cellular network External links:
Cellular network | Verizon Community
Valko Thesis | Cellular Network | Computer Network
Performance Issues of Cellular Networks
Cisco Systems External links:
Cisco Systems, Inc. (CSCO) After Hours Trading – NASDAQ.com
Cisco Systems, Inc. – CSCO – Stock Price Today – Zacks
Contact Cisco – Cisco Systems
Cloud computing External links:
Microsoft Azure Cloud Computing Platform & Services
ClearDATA – Secure, HIPAA Compliant Cloud Computing
AWS Cloud Computing Certification Program – aws.amazon.com
Content-addressable memory External links:
Content-Addressable Memory Architecture For Image …
Core network External links:
Core Network – Official Site
Core Network | NETSCOUT
What is a Core Network? – Definition from Techopedia
IEEE 802.1aq External links:
IEEE 802.1aq Archives – Beyond Standards
Shortest Path Bridging – IEEE 802.1aq – YouTube
Integrated Services Digital Network External links:
ISDN (Integrated Services Digital Network) Definition
[PDF]Integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN) 8510T …
Integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN)
Intel Data Plane Development Kit External links:
Intel Data Plane Development Kit Video HD – YouTube
Intel Data Plane Development Kit (DPDK) – Altencalsoft
Local area network External links:
Netsh Commands for Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN…
What is a Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN)? – …
How to Set up DHCP on a Local Area Network: 13 Steps
Network functions virtualization External links:
Cisco Network Functions Virtualization (NFV)
Network Functions Virtualization | GENBAND
Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) | vCloud NFV | VMware
Network packet External links:
Software-Driven Network Packet Brokers | NETSCOUT
Packet Analyzer – Network Packet Analysis | SolarWinds
How to Record Network Packet Trace on NetScaler …
Network switch External links:
Amazon.com: NETGEAR GS105NA 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch | Lifetime Next Business Day Replacement | Sturdy Metal | Desktop | Plug-and-Play | …
Raymarine HS5 SeaTalkhs Network Switch
Network virtualization platform External links:
VMware & Nicira, Nicira Network Virtualization Platform …
OpenVirteX | Network Virtualization Platform
Northbound interface External links:
Wireless Glossary – NBI (Northbound Interface)
[MS-NCNBI]: Network Controller Northbound Interface
OSI model External links:
The 7 Layers of the OSI Model – Webopedia Study Guide
Troubleshooting Along the OSI Model – Pearson IT …
The OSI Model’s Seven Layers Defined and Functions …
OpenDaylight Project External links:
OpenDaylight Project – YouTube
OpenDaylight Project – Home | Facebook
Open Networking Foundation External links:
Blog Archives – Open Networking Foundation
Open Networking Foundation – Official Site
opennetworking.org – Home – Open Networking Foundation
Open vSwitch External links:
VXLAN overlay networks with Open vSwitch – YouTube
Operating system External links:
Find Out Which Operating System Is on My Computer …
Operating System and Browser warning
nCino Bank Operating System
Operations support system External links:
Avaya Support – Products – Operations Support System
ACE OPERATIONS SUPPORT SYSTEM
Radio access network External links:
At 10+% CAGR, (C-RAN) Cloud Radio Access Network …
Shortest path bridging External links:
Shortest Path Bridging Archives – Avaya Connected Blog
What is shortest path bridging? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Software-defined protection External links:
Traffic flow External links:
AWC – Traffic Flow Management – Aviation Weather
Revised Monograph on Traffic Flow Theory
Transmission Control Protocol External links:
Netsh commands for Interface Transmission Control Protocol
Transmission Control Protocol – technet.microsoft.com
[PDF]RFC: 793 TRANSMISSION CONTROL PROTOCOL …
UC Berkeley External links:
UC Berkeley Career Center | Career Center
UC Berkeley Graduate School of Education – Official Site
UC Berkeley – Department of Philosophy
User Datagram Protocol External links:
user datagram protocol – Wiktionary
[PDF]UDP: The User Datagram Protocol – Nc State University
Wide Area Network External links:
A wide area network (WAN) is a geographically dispersed telecommunications network. The term distinguishes a broader telecommunication structure from a local area network (LAN). A wide area network may be privately owned or rented, but the term usually connotes the inclusion of public (shared user) networks.
Wide Area Network (WAN) | North Dakota ITD
Wide area network | computer science | Britannica.com