What is involved in help desk
Find out what the related areas are that help desk connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a help desk thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its help desk journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward help desk leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which help desk related domains to cover and 192 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
help desk, Application software, Automatic call distributor, Call board, Call center, Call centre, Comparison of help desk issue tracking software, Comparison of issue tracking systems, Comparison shopping website, Computer configuration, Computer network, Computer peripheral, Computer security, Customer service, Desktop computer, Digital distribution, End user, Enterprise software, Erlang unit, Fax machines, Flower delivery, Help desk software, Information technology, Issue tracking system, Knowledge base, Mobile commerce, Mobile payment, Mobile ticketing, Online advertising, Online auction, Online banking, Online chat, Online food ordering, Online grocer, Online pharmacy, Online trading community, Online wallet, Personal digital assistant, Point of contact, Private branch exchange, Queue area, Remote Assistance Software, Social commerce, Software bug, Streaming media, Support automation, Technical support, Travel website:
help desk Critical Criteria:
Dissect help desk risks and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in help desk.
– The offeror will describe its service levels for fixes, help desk, etc. will it reduce its fees if the service levels are not met?
– Expose its policy engine via web services for use by third-party systems (e.g. provisioning, help desk solutions)?
– Complement identity management and help desk solutions with closedloop import and export?
– What features of the current help desk service management tool are being used?
– When a help desk manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– How has the current help desk service management tool been customized?
– Do we know the number of password problem help desk calls per month?
– What is the current help desk service management tool and version?
– How will the offeror provide support through the help desk?
– Help desk password resets easily measured (specific number?
– Is there any existing help desk governance structure?
– Number of password problem help desk calls per month?
– Which help desk goals are the most important?
– How does the help desk authenticate callers?
Application software Critical Criteria:
Refer to Application software strategies and describe the risks of Application software sustainability.
– Which customers cant participate in our help desk domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– How do you manage the new access devices using their own new application software?
– Is the process effectively supported by the legacy application software?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the help desk requirements in detail?
– Who needs to know about help desk ?
Automatic call distributor Critical Criteria:
Investigate Automatic call distributor outcomes and correct Automatic call distributor management by competencies.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your help desk processes?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate help desk delivery for example is new software needed?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving help desk forward?
Call board Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to Call board results and gather Call board models .
– What are our best practices for minimizing help desk project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the help desk project lifecycle?
– Can we add value to the current help desk decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– What are all of our help desk domains and what do they do?
Call center Critical Criteria:
Dissect Call center leadership and ask what if.
– What proportion of Customer Service calls chats could present day AI technology resolve without assistance in principle?
– What is the average supervisor to Customer Service representative ratio for a fixed route call center?
– What is the best virtual hosted PBX platform to use for our phone Customer Service team?
– What are good examples of us utilizing SMS as a Customer Service mechanism?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as help desk leaders?
– Have you integrated your call center telephony to your crm application?
– How important is help desk to the user organizations mission?
– What are the issues of scaling Twitter for Customer Service?
– What are the pros and cons of outsourcing Customer Service?
– How do companies apply social media to Customer Service?
– Is social media the solution to bad Customer Service?
– Is Twitter an effective Customer Service tool?
– How can the value of help desk be defined?
Call centre Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Call centre quality and revise understanding of Call centre architectures.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent help desk services/products?
– Is help desk Required?
Comparison of help desk issue tracking software Critical Criteria:
Merge Comparison of help desk issue tracking software tactics and summarize a clear Comparison of help desk issue tracking software focus.
– What business benefits will help desk goals deliver if achieved?
Comparison of issue tracking systems Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Comparison of issue tracking systems projects and work towards be a leading Comparison of issue tracking systems expert.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to help desk? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the help desk process?
– Is maximizing help desk protection the same as minimizing help desk loss?
Comparison shopping website Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Comparison shopping website tactics and interpret which customers can’t participate in Comparison shopping website because they lack skills.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if help desk does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good help desk project manager?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom help desk project?
Computer configuration Critical Criteria:
Start Computer configuration failures and assess and formulate effective operational and Computer configuration strategies.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these help desk processes?
– How can skill-level changes improve help desk?
Computer network Critical Criteria:
Adapt Computer network risks and display thorough understanding of the Computer network process.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your help desk project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– In what ways are help desk vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– Is the illegal entry into a private computer network a crime in your country?
– How do we go about Comparing help desk approaches/solutions?
Computer peripheral Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Computer peripheral governance and find out what it really means.
– Does help desk appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Computer security Critical Criteria:
Scan Computer security risks and find the essential reading for Computer security researchers.
– Does your company provide end-user training to all employees on Cybersecurity, either as part of general staff training or specifically on the topic of computer security and company policy?
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once help desk is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Will the selection of a particular product limit the future choices of other computer security or operational modifications and improvements?
– What is the source of the strategies for help desk strengthening and reform?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing help desk?
Customer service Critical Criteria:
Adapt Customer service engagements and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Customer service.
– For years, Customer Service departments have attempted to deploy right channeling strategies to optimize traditional Customer Service interactions (e.g. agent-assisted service vs. self-service). Today, however, right channeling is re-emerging, evolving, and re-asserting its importance as a strategy. Why?
– In the past year, have you intended to conduct a business transaction or make a purchase but decided not to based on a poor Customer Service experience?
– What element(s) of interpersonal communications do you believe are the most important in a Customer Service environment?
– What do you think might typically form part of your organization s overall package from a customer s perspective?
– How much more would you be willing to spend with a company that you believe provides excellent Customer Service?
– Which of any Customer Service issues would be most likely to influence you to switch brands or companies?
– What specific functionality is our Customer Service Management system required to provide?
– Do you have any complaint filtering in operation within your organization?
– Is the telephone service covered by the Customer Service guarantee (csg)?
– How would you define outstanding Customer Service?
– What do we do when we Cant resolve the problem!?
– What can you do to help your company?
– Who should use this self assessment?
– Do beliefs differ from values?
– How would you define attitude?
– Do we perform Skills Audits ?
– What Do Customers Need?
– What are our values?
– What is feedback?
– Why do scripting?
Desktop computer Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Desktop computer planning and transcribe Desktop computer as tomorrows backbone for success.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new help desk in a volatile global economy?
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a help desk strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– What will drive help desk change?
Digital distribution Critical Criteria:
Use past Digital distribution projects and point out Digital distribution tensions in leadership.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing help desk? There might be some that are less obvious?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a help desk project?
– Is the help desk organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
End user Critical Criteria:
Accelerate End user goals and revise understanding of End user architectures.
– Time to market improvements. Will the move to cloud computing shorten the time it takes to deliver functional enhancements to end users?
– Does the calibration lab or calibration contractor provide the end user notification of any out of tolerance conditions?
– How do the end users of cloud computing know that their information is not having any availability and security issues?
– From the end users eyes, is it possible for the change to have a major impact on services if problems occur?
– How does the vendor handle software and hardware maintenance, end user support, and maintenance agreements?
– Will the move to cloud computing shorten the time it takes to deliver functional enhancements to end users?
– Will the change have only minimal or no impact on services provided to the end users if a problem occurs?
– Will the change have only minor impact on services provided to the end users if problems occur?
– To what extent does management recognize help desk as a tool to increase the results?
– Does help desk analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– Is the change needed to restore immediate service to the end user?
– Will the change be visible only to a small group of end users?
– Will the change be visible to a large number of end users?
– How significant is the improvement in the eyes of the end user?
– Is the change visible to all end users?
– Can all end user classes be identified?
Enterprise software Critical Criteria:
Consider Enterprise software strategies and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– What are the key elements of your help desk performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– What do you think the world of enterprise software delivery will look like in ten to fifteen years (take into account practices, technology, and user experience)?
– How can you negotiate help desk successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– Is your LMS integrated to your current enterprise software?
– What threat is help desk addressing?
Erlang unit Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Erlang unit failures and probe Erlang unit strategic alliances.
– How would one define help desk leadership?
Fax machines Critical Criteria:
Check Fax machines quality and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Fax machines decisions.
– Will help desk have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– Do those selected for the help desk team have a good general understanding of what help desk is all about?
– What are the usability implications of help desk actions?
Flower delivery Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Flower delivery goals and oversee Flower delivery management by competencies.
– Have the types of risks that may impact help desk been identified and analyzed?
– What are internal and external help desk relations?
Help desk software Critical Criteria:
Familiarize yourself with Help desk software governance and overcome Help desk software skills and management ineffectiveness.
– What potential environmental factors impact the help desk effort?
Information technology Critical Criteria:
Add value to Information technology issues and observe effective Information technology.
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– Do we monitor the help desk decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
– How is the value delivered by help desk being measured?
Issue tracking system Critical Criteria:
Deliberate over Issue tracking system engagements and customize techniques for implementing Issue tracking system controls.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a help desk process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the help desk process available?
– How do mission and objectives affect the help desk processes of our organization?
– What are the barriers to increased help desk production?
Knowledge base Critical Criteria:
Chart Knowledge base outcomes and point out improvements in Knowledge base.
– Do we support the certified Cybersecurity professional and cyber-informed operations and engineering professionals with advanced problem-solving tools, communities of practice, canonical knowledge bases, and other performance support tools?
– Among the help desk product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its help desk processes?
– Can specialized social networks replace learning management systems?
– Can we do help desk without complex (expensive) analysis?
Mobile commerce Critical Criteria:
Focus on Mobile commerce tasks and display thorough understanding of the Mobile commerce process.
– Do the help desk decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
Mobile payment Critical Criteria:
Debate over Mobile payment leadership and look in other fields.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect help desk workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Does help desk create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– What killer use cases in mobile payments have not been considered?
– Who will provide the final approval of help desk deliverables?
– Will mobile payments ever replace credit cards?
Mobile ticketing Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Mobile ticketing leadership and explore and align the progress in Mobile ticketing.
– Why should we adopt a help desk framework?
– How do we Lead with help desk in Mind?
Online advertising Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on Online advertising management and figure out ways to motivate other Online advertising users.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting help desk with what users do day-to-day?
– What are specific help desk Rules to follow?
Online auction Critical Criteria:
Design Online auction decisions and find out what it really means.
Online banking Critical Criteria:
Nurse Online banking outcomes and get the big picture.
– How will you measure your help desk effectiveness?
– Who sets the help desk standards?
Online chat Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Online chat decisions and look in other fields.
– What kinds of support services (e.g., via e-mail, phone calls, online chat) does the provider offer to its customers and in which languages?
– What alternatives do the vendors offer for contacting technical support (e.g., email, telephone, online chat, and web-based reporting)?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective help desk leader?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of help desk activities?
– How do we Identify specific help desk investment and emerging trends?
Online food ordering Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Online food ordering engagements and find the essential reading for Online food ordering researchers.
– Have all basic functions of help desk been defined?
Online grocer Critical Criteria:
Scan Online grocer planning and describe which business rules are needed as Online grocer interface.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed help desk opportunities costing us money?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of help desk moving forward?
Online pharmacy Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Online pharmacy outcomes and differentiate in coordinating Online pharmacy.
– Does help desk systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– Is help desk dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
Online trading community Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize Online trading community outcomes and finalize specific methods for Online trading community acceptance.
Online wallet Critical Criteria:
Boost Online wallet decisions and document what potential Online wallet megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– What is the total cost related to deploying help desk, including any consulting or professional services?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic help desk objectives?
Personal digital assistant Critical Criteria:
Unify Personal digital assistant decisions and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Personal digital assistant.
– What support does the IT Security product provide for laptops/notebooks, personal digital assistants (PDA), and IP-based phones?
– What are the short and long-term help desk goals?
Point of contact Critical Criteria:
Model after Point of contact governance and gather practices for scaling Point of contact.
– How likely is the current help desk plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
Private branch exchange Critical Criteria:
X-ray Private branch exchange quality and pioneer acquisition of Private branch exchange systems.
– How can you measure help desk in a systematic way?
Queue area Critical Criteria:
Administer Queue area outcomes and shift your focus.
Remote Assistance Software Critical Criteria:
Jump start Remote Assistance Software planning and give examples utilizing a core of simple Remote Assistance Software skills.
– what is the best design framework for help desk organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– Does our organization need more help desk education?
Social commerce Critical Criteria:
Reason over Social commerce adoptions and summarize a clear Social commerce focus.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about help desk. How do we gain traction?
– Is a help desk Team Work effort in place?
Software bug Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Software bug risks and find answers.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this help desk process?
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that help desk objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your help desk activities?
Streaming media Critical Criteria:
Consider Streaming media outcomes and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Streaming media information.
– What are our needs in relation to help desk skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
Support automation Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Support automation results and customize techniques for implementing Support automation controls.
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of help desk?
– Does the help desk task fit the clients priorities?
Technical support Critical Criteria:
Deduce Technical support management and balance specific methods for improving Technical support results.
– If technical support services are included, what is the vendors commitment to timely response?
Travel website Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Travel website engagements and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Travel website decisions.
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the help desk Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
help desk External links:
Help Desk – Helpdesk Software Login
LiveHelpNow – Help Desk Software for Customer Service
Application software External links:
Title application software Free Download for Windows
Chapter 3 – Application Software
Automatic call distributor External links:
ACDnxt (Automatic Call Distributor)
ACDnxt (Automatic Call Distributor) – va.gov
What is an Automatic Call Distributor (ACD)? | Talkdesk
Call board External links:
Notification Centers « One Call Board of Texas
[PDF]ROLL CALL BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: ALSO …
[PDF]ROLL CALL BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: ALSO …
Call center External links:
WorkforceScheduling.com – call center workforce …
Alliance Communications | Answering Service | Call Center
LeadMailbox | Lead Management | Call Center | Sales CRM
Call centre External links:
i24 Call Management Solutions – Canadian Bilingual Call Centre
Datablazers Inc. | Your Trusted Data and Call Centre Partner
Comparison of issue tracking systems External links:
Comparison of issue tracking systems – GitHub
Computer configuration External links:
Computer Configuration Check – Tribridge
Computer Configurations – technet.microsoft.com
MTM Software – Detect Computer Configuration …
Computer network External links:
What is a Computer Network? Webopedia Definition
15-1152.00 – Computer Network Support Specialists
Computer Networks – Journal – Elsevier
Computer peripheral External links:
computer peripheral | Definition & Examples | Britannica.com
Computer security External links:
Computer Security | Consumer Information
Naked Security – Computer Security News, Advice and …
GateKeeper – Computer Security Lock | Security for Laptops
Customer service External links:
Customer Service – Equifax
Customer Service – Kohl’s
Desktop computer External links:
Heartland America: HP6305 Desktop Computer
Download Skype for Desktop Computer | Skype
HP PCs – Cannot Start Desktop Computer From a …
Digital distribution External links:
Woovit, a digital distribution platform
Record Union – Digital distribution & artist opportunities
Digital Distribution to World’s Largest VOD Platforms
End user External links:
End User License Agreement
JPRS end user login
CWPS End User Training Portal – Authentication Required
Enterprise software External links:
Codete – Web, Mobile and Enterprise Software House
Aspen Grove Solutions – Property Enterprise Software
Provoke | Home | Enterprise Software Solutions
Fax machines External links:
Fax Machines at Office Depot OfficeMax
HP HP Fax Machines | HP® Customer Support
Brother Fax Machines
Flower delivery External links:
Best Gardenia Flower Delivery | Luxury Flowers in a Box
Flower Patch – Utah Florist and Flower Delivery Service
Same Day Flower Delivery | FromYouFlowers®
Help desk software External links:
rhinosupport.com – Help Desk Software – Customer …
LiveHelpNow – Help Desk Software for Customer Service
SysAid Help Desk Software
Information technology External links:
Box @ IU | University Information Technology Services
IUanyWare | University Information Technology Services
Umail | University Information Technology Services
Issue tracking system External links:
System Dashboard – Kapsch Software Issue Tracking System
issue tracking system – Wiktionary
Top 10 Issue Tracking Systems – capterra.com
http://Ad · www.capterra.com/Issue-Tracking/Free-List
Knowledge base External links:
Welcome to the BroadCloud Knowledge Base
Knowledge Base for Precision Oncology
Carbonite Support Knowledge Base
Mobile commerce External links:
Ready for Next – Mobile Commerce – CyberSource
ReplyBuy | Mobile Commerce + Marketing Automation
Mobify – Mobile Commerce and Engagement
Mobile payment External links:
Mobile payment (eBook, 2013) [WorldCat.org]
[PDF]Title: VP, Mobile Payment Services – IDT Corporation
MOBILE PAYMENT – WIRECARD: Reinventing Payment
Mobile ticketing External links:
SEPTA | Mobile Ticketing Pilot Project
Split Season Tickets | Mobile Ticketing App | Season Share
Bytemark, Inc. – The Mobile Ticketing and Commerce …
Online advertising External links:
Wippl – Caribbean Online Advertising
Deshmedia – Online Advertising platform
Google PPC Online Advertising | Google AdWords – Google
Online auction External links:
Biddergy – Worldwide Online Auction and Liquidation Services
BIDRL.COM Online Auction Marketplace
Bid Venues – Online Auction Company Covering the …
Online banking External links:
Capital One Sign In – Access Personal Online Banking …
myBranch Online Banking Log In | Security Service
Bank of America | Online Banking | Sign In | Online ID
Online chat External links:
Free Online Chat Rooms – Wireclub
Fruzo – Social Network for Dating, Friends & Online Chat
Chatroom Flirt | Online Chat Dating
Online food ordering External links:
Online food ordering system Essay Example for Free
Online Food Ordering and Delivery Script | Foodpanda Clone
Online grocer External links:
onlinegrocer.ca – Online Grocer – zonwhois.com
Online pharmacy External links:
Online Pharmacy Australia Cialis — RxBuy
Cialis Fda Approved Online Pharmacy — RxBuy
Online trading community External links:
The Exchange | Questrade’s online trading community
Online Trading Community – Home | Facebook
Online wallet External links:
OTTOCOIN dot Cash – OTC Online Wallet
MyNXT – NXT Online Wallet Evolved
Personal digital assistant External links:
What is Personal Digital Assistant (PDA)? Webopedia …
PALM PERSONAL DIGITAL ASSISTANT – GovDeals.com
Point of contact External links:
Site Point of Contact Portal
One Point of Contact | The City of Portland, Oregon
Single Point Of Contact – IT Services San Francisco Bay Area
Private branch exchange External links:
PBX (private branch exchange) – Gartner IT Glossary
About the Symantec Private Branch Exchange
Veritas Private Branch Exchange (PBX)
Queue area External links:
Grizzly River Run queue area – pinterest.com
Social commerce External links:
Social Commerce for Shopify – SocialShopWave
ModeFair – Exciting Social Commerce and Curated …
HotProspects – A Global Social Commerce Platform
Software bug External links:
Software Bug Report – Formsite
What is Software Bug? – Definition from Techopedia
Streaming media External links:
www.amazon.com › … › Television & Video › Streaming Media Players
Streaming Media & Television | senate.ca.gov
Streaming Media Player | eBay
Support automation External links:
Support Automation and Insight Remote Support | HPE™
Ada — Support automation made simple
Run-time error ‘430’: Class does not support Automation …
Technical support External links:
iYogi Technical Support
QIES Technical Support Office – Welcome
Symantec Enterprise Technical Support
Travel website External links:
Log In – Delta Professional Corporate Travel Website
Taos Ski Valley Official Tourism and Travel Website
TripSmarter.Com – The Travel Website of Destination …