What is involved in Geotechnical engineering
Find out what the related areas are that Geotechnical engineering connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Geotechnical engineering thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Geotechnical engineering journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Geotechnical engineering leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Geotechnical engineering related domains to cover and 125 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Geotechnical engineering, Soil mechanics, Ground freezing, Hazardous waste, Engineering disciplines, Slope failure, Mining engineering, Specific weight, Soil physics, Sediment control, Seismic hazard, Pressure grouting, Ocean current, Earth structure, Bulk density, Retaining wall, Engineering geologist, Offshore drilling rig, Mechanically stabilized earth, Sieve analysis, Lateral earth pressure, Wave equation analysis, Water content, Masters degree, Response spectrum, Offshore construction, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Darcy’s Law, Engineering geology, Overburden pressure, Bearing capacity, Cone penetration test, Slurry wall, Slope stability analysis, Geosynthetic clay liner, Mass wasting, Pile integrity test, Dynamic load testing, Napa, California, Wind wave, Deep Foundations Institute, Standard penetration test, Dynamic compaction, Reynolds’ dilatancy, Geotechnical investigation, Civil engineering, Reinforced concrete:
Geotechnical engineering Critical Criteria:
Explore Geotechnical engineering failures and define Geotechnical engineering competency-based leadership.
– Is the Geotechnical engineering organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– Are accountability and ownership for Geotechnical engineering clearly defined?
– Who sets the Geotechnical engineering standards?
Soil mechanics Critical Criteria:
Confer over Soil mechanics risks and define Soil mechanics competency-based leadership.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Geotechnical engineering ?
Ground freezing Critical Criteria:
Confer re Ground freezing management and balance specific methods for improving Ground freezing results.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Geotechnical engineering strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Are assumptions made in Geotechnical engineering stated explicitly?
– Are there recognized Geotechnical engineering problems?
Hazardous waste Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Hazardous waste strategies and spearhead techniques for implementing Hazardous waste.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Geotechnical engineering is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– When a Geotechnical engineering manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– How to Secure Geotechnical engineering?
Engineering disciplines Critical Criteria:
Grasp Engineering disciplines visions and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Engineering disciplines results.
– What are all of our Geotechnical engineering domains and what do they do?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Geotechnical engineering move?
– What are the short and long-term Geotechnical engineering goals?
Slope failure Critical Criteria:
Trace Slope failure projects and track iterative Slope failure results.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Geotechnical engineering is underway?
– Is the scope of Geotechnical engineering defined?
Mining engineering Critical Criteria:
Deliberate Mining engineering management and overcome Mining engineering skills and management ineffectiveness.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Geotechnical engineering strengthening and reform actually originate?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Geotechnical engineering?
– How do we go about Securing Geotechnical engineering?
Specific weight Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on Specific weight tactics and maintain Specific weight for success.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Geotechnical engineering product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Geotechnical engineering project?
– What is our Geotechnical engineering Strategy?
Soil physics Critical Criteria:
Shape Soil physics decisions and catalog what business benefits will Soil physics goals deliver if achieved.
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Geotechnical engineering process?
– What are current Geotechnical engineering Paradigms?
Sediment control Critical Criteria:
Consider Sediment control risks and probe Sediment control strategic alliances.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Geotechnical engineering process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Geotechnical engineering process available?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Geotechnical engineering opportunities costing us money?
– What is Effective Geotechnical engineering?
Seismic hazard Critical Criteria:
Own Seismic hazard issues and customize techniques for implementing Seismic hazard controls.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Geotechnical engineering objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– How do we Improve Geotechnical engineering service perception, and satisfaction?
Pressure grouting Critical Criteria:
Familiarize yourself with Pressure grouting decisions and get the big picture.
– For your Geotechnical engineering project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Geotechnical engineering activities?
– Will Geotechnical engineering deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Ocean current Critical Criteria:
Study Ocean current goals and acquire concise Ocean current education.
– Can we do Geotechnical engineering without complex (expensive) analysis?
– What threat is Geotechnical engineering addressing?
– How do we keep improving Geotechnical engineering?
Earth structure Critical Criteria:
Disseminate Earth structure quality and gather practices for scaling Earth structure.
– What are the barriers to increased Geotechnical engineering production?
Bulk density Critical Criteria:
Have a round table over Bulk density failures and devote time assessing Bulk density and its risk.
– How do we Lead with Geotechnical engineering in Mind?
Retaining wall Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Retaining wall tasks and separate what are the business goals Retaining wall is aiming to achieve.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Geotechnical engineering process?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Geotechnical engineering that make it risky?
– How do we measure improved Geotechnical engineering service perception, and satisfaction?
Engineering geologist Critical Criteria:
Derive from Engineering geologist quality and find answers.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Geotechnical engineering experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Think of your Geotechnical engineering project. what are the main functions?
– What are our Geotechnical engineering Processes?
Offshore drilling rig Critical Criteria:
Familiarize yourself with Offshore drilling rig failures and don’t overlook the obvious.
– Is Geotechnical engineering Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
Mechanically stabilized earth Critical Criteria:
Boost Mechanically stabilized earth adoptions and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Mechanically stabilized earth projects.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Geotechnical engineering processes?
– Does our organization need more Geotechnical engineering education?
Sieve analysis Critical Criteria:
Reason over Sieve analysis adoptions and track iterative Sieve analysis results.
– What are the disruptive Geotechnical engineering technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
Lateral earth pressure Critical Criteria:
Study Lateral earth pressure tactics and correct better engagement with Lateral earth pressure results.
– Do the Geotechnical engineering decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– Who will provide the final approval of Geotechnical engineering deliverables?
Wave equation analysis Critical Criteria:
Mix Wave equation analysis planning and sort Wave equation analysis activities.
– Is Geotechnical engineering dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
Water content Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Water content decisions and research ways can we become the Water content company that would put us out of business.
– What is the purpose of Geotechnical engineering in relation to the mission?
– Why should we adopt a Geotechnical engineering framework?
Masters degree Critical Criteria:
Give examples of Masters degree failures and assess and formulate effective operational and Masters degree strategies.
Response spectrum Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Response spectrum goals and describe the risks of Response spectrum sustainability.
– Think about the people you identified for your Geotechnical engineering project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Geotechnical engineering values?
Offshore construction Critical Criteria:
Analyze Offshore construction decisions and balance specific methods for improving Offshore construction results.
– Will Geotechnical engineering have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
Leaning Tower of Pisa Critical Criteria:
Value Leaning Tower of Pisa strategies and find out what it really means.
– What are our needs in relation to Geotechnical engineering skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Geotechnical engineering?
Darcy’s Law Critical Criteria:
Nurse Darcy’s Law risks and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Darcy’s Law.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Geotechnical engineering into the services that we provide?
Engineering geology Critical Criteria:
Canvass Engineering geology governance and balance specific methods for improving Engineering geology results.
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Geotechnical engineering project?
– How would one define Geotechnical engineering leadership?
Overburden pressure Critical Criteria:
Design Overburden pressure tasks and gather practices for scaling Overburden pressure.
Bearing capacity Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about Bearing capacity governance and define what our big hairy audacious Bearing capacity goal is.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Geotechnical engineering delivery for example is new software needed?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Geotechnical engineering? There might be some that are less obvious?
Cone penetration test Critical Criteria:
Refer to Cone penetration test decisions and grade techniques for implementing Cone penetration test controls.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Geotechnical engineering information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– How likely is the current Geotechnical engineering plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– What are the business goals Geotechnical engineering is aiming to achieve?
Slurry wall Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Slurry wall issues and maintain Slurry wall for success.
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Geotechnical engineering leaders?
Slope stability analysis Critical Criteria:
Review Slope stability analysis leadership and point out Slope stability analysis tensions in leadership.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Geotechnical engineering project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Geotechnical engineering project lifecycle?
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Geotechnical engineering strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
Geosynthetic clay liner Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Geosynthetic clay liner management and point out improvements in Geosynthetic clay liner.
– What are the long-term Geotechnical engineering goals?
Mass wasting Critical Criteria:
Derive from Mass wasting risks and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Mass wasting.
– Does Geotechnical engineering systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– How will you know that the Geotechnical engineering project has been successful?
Pile integrity test Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Pile integrity test issues and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Pile integrity test results.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Geotechnical engineering in a volatile global economy?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Geotechnical engineering with what users do day-to-day?
Dynamic load testing Critical Criteria:
Use past Dynamic load testing decisions and pioneer acquisition of Dynamic load testing systems.
Napa, California Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Napa, California engagements and look at the big picture.
Wind wave Critical Criteria:
Align Wind wave visions and integrate design thinking in Wind wave innovation.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Geotechnical engineering models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Are there Geotechnical engineering Models?
Deep Foundations Institute Critical Criteria:
Learn from Deep Foundations Institute issues and assess and formulate effective operational and Deep Foundations Institute strategies.
– How can you measure Geotechnical engineering in a systematic way?
– Is a Geotechnical engineering Team Work effort in place?
Standard penetration test Critical Criteria:
Scan Standard penetration test goals and do something to it.
– What is the total cost related to deploying Geotechnical engineering, including any consulting or professional services?
– Do we all define Geotechnical engineering in the same way?
– Why are Geotechnical engineering skills important?
Dynamic compaction Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Dynamic compaction risks and find the ideas you already have.
– In a project to restructure Geotechnical engineering outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
Reynolds’ dilatancy Critical Criteria:
Chart Reynolds’ dilatancy results and get going.
Geotechnical investigation Critical Criteria:
Devise Geotechnical investigation planning and overcome Geotechnical investigation skills and management ineffectiveness.
– How do we know that any Geotechnical engineering analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– Does Geotechnical engineering appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Civil engineering Critical Criteria:
Trace Civil engineering issues and create a map for yourself.
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Geotechnical engineering activities?
– How do we go about Comparing Geotechnical engineering approaches/solutions?
Reinforced concrete Critical Criteria:
Adapt Reinforced concrete decisions and assess and formulate effective operational and Reinforced concrete strategies.
– what is the best design framework for Geotechnical engineering organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Geotechnical engineering?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Geotechnical engineering Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Geotechnical engineering External links:
Environmental and Geotechnical Engineering Careers at …
Maccaferri USA: works of civil, geotechnical engineering
Soil mechanics External links:
Soil Mechanics Laboratory Tests: Hydrometer – YouTube
National Design, Construction, and Soil Mechanics …
Soil mechanics | Britannica.com
Ground freezing External links:
CBD-26. Ground Freezing and Frost Heaving – NRC-IRC
Ground Freezing Equipment – M&M Refrigeration
groundfreezing.com | the definitive ground freezing …
Hazardous waste External links:
Industrial and Hazardous Waste Solutions | WMSolutions…
US Ecology | Hazardous Waste Compliance and Disposal
Hazardous Waste Reporting System – State of Oregon
Engineering disciplines External links:
Penn State Engineering: Architectural Engineering Disciplines
Engineering Disciplines — J.B. Speed School of Engineering
[PDF]Engineering Disciplines – CCSU
Slope failure External links:
Slope Failure | FEMA.gov
Slope Stability and Slope Failure – YouTube
[PDF]12. Slope failure and landslides.pdf – Kean University
http://www.kean.edu/~csmart/Observing/12. Slope failure and landslides.pdf
Mining engineering External links:
Mining Engineering – Overview
Missouri S&T – Mining Engineering
Home – Mining Engineering
Specific weight External links:
Fluid Density Properties and specific weight – Official
http://The specific weight (also known as the unit weight) is the weight per unit volume of a material. The symbol of specific weight is γ (the Greek letter Gamma). A commonly used value is the specific weight of water on Earth at 5°C which is 9.807 kN/m³ or 62.43 lbf/ft³.
How to convert density to specific weight – Quora
Soil physics External links:
Postdoctoral Fellow, Soil Science/Soil Physics/Soil Mechanics
HEITMAN ENVIRONMENTAL SOIL PHYSICS …
Sediment control External links:
TN Erosion Prevention | Sediment Control
Soil Erosion and Sediment Control Overview | ddoe
Seismic hazard External links:
Seismic Hazard Maps and Site-Specific Data
[PDF]SEISMIC HAZARD ZONE REPORT FOR THE LA …
Introduction to the National Seismic Hazard Maps
Pressure grouting External links:
Pressure Grouting | Berkel & Company Contractors, Inc.
What Is Pressure Grouting? – YouTube
[DOC]Construction Specification 14—Pressure Grouting
Ocean current External links:
Ocean Current Energy | BOEM
Ocean Current | Tethys
Peru Current | ocean current | Britannica.com
Earth structure External links:
Earth Structure Flashcards | Quizlet
Buy An Introduction to Seismology, Earthquakes and Earth Structure on Amazon.com FREE SHIPPING on qualified orders
Seismic Evidence for Internal Earth Structure
Bulk density External links:
http://bulk density. Weight of a unit volume of a loose material (such as a powder or soil) to the same volume of water. Expressed in kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3) or pounds per cubic foot (lb/ft3), it is a type of relative density and is used mainly in quality control, shipping, and soil analysis.
[PDF]Porosity and Bulk Density of Sedimentary Rocks – USGS
What is bulk density ? definition and meaning
Retaining wall External links:
Products – VERSA-LOK Retaining Wall Systems
What is a Retaining Wall – Allan Block
2018 Retaining Wall Cost | Cost to Build A Retaining Wall
Engineering geologist External links:
[PDF]Engineering Geologist 5699 3756 9PB02 – State of …
Engineering Geologist Job | Mackay Hub
Engineering Geologist Examination – California
Offshore drilling rig External links:
Offshore Drilling Rig Types | Transocean Fleet
Offshore Drilling Rig Accident – YouTube
GALVESTON.COM: Ocean Star Offshore Drilling Rig & …
Sieve analysis External links:
How to Perform a Sieve Analysis
[PDF]SIEVE ANALYSIS OF FINE AND COARSE …
[PDF]SIEVE ANALYSIS OF FINE AND COARSE …
Lateral earth pressure External links:
Lateral Earth Pressure | ReviewCivilPE
[PDF]Chapter (7) Lateral Earth Pressure
Seismic Lateral Earth Pressure on Basement and Retaining Walls
Water content External links:
Water: How Much to Drink, Water Content of Foods, Too …
Standard Test Method for Determination of Water Content …
Snow Pack Conditions – Snow Water Content Graph
Masters degree External links:
Online Masters Degree Programs | Walden University
Masters degree title? | Yahoo Answers
Masters Degree Programs & Accredited Graduate Schools …
Response spectrum External links:
Earthquake Response Spectrum Analysis of 4 Story …
[PDF]Theory of Response Spectrum Analysis – New Mexico …
Offshore construction External links:
Offshore Construction – McDermott Careers
Offshore Construction | TNI Energy
Careers | Hydra Offshore Construction
Leaning Tower of Pisa External links:
The History of The Leaning Tower of Pisa
Leaning Tower of Pisa, Pisa [HD] – YouTube
Leaning Tower of Pisa | tower, Pisa, Italy | Britannica.com
Darcy’s Law External links:
Darcy’s law – National Groundwater Association
GroundwaterSoftware.com – Darcy’s Law Calculator
Darcy’s law | hydrology | Britannica.com
Engineering geology External links:
Engineering Geology – Official Site
Geological Society, London, Engineering Geology …
Engineering geology (eJournal / eMagazine, 1965) …
Overburden pressure External links:
[PDF]Effect of Soil Overburden Pressure on Penetration of …
Overburden pressure Top #6 Facts – YouTube
How to Calculate Overburden Pressure | Career Trend
Bearing capacity External links:
[PDF]Terzaghi’s Bearing Capacity Equations
[PDF]Bearing Capacity of Soils – PDH Courses Online. PDH …
https://www.cedengineering.com/userfiles/Bearing Capacity of Soils.pdf
What is Bearing Capacity of Soil? & How to improve it?
Cone penetration test External links:
Cone Penetration Test – Intechsoil
Cone Penetration Test equipment and hydraulic pile …
[PDF]Cone Penetration Test (CPT) Interpretation – Civil …
Slurry wall External links:
Slurry Wall – CETCO
Slurry Walls – Remedial Construction Services L.P.
Slurry Wall Tutorial – YouTube
Slope stability analysis External links:
TAGAsoft – geotechnical software – slope stability analysis
[PDF]SLOPE STABILITY ANALYSIS USING 2D AND 3D …
5 Signs You May Need a Slope Stability Analysis
Geosynthetic clay liner External links:
AGRU GeoClay® Geosynthetic Clay Liner from AGRU …
Geosynthetic Clay Liner GCL pond building – YouTube
Mass wasting External links:
[PDF]Mass Wasting and Landslides Mass Wasting – SOEST
Mass Wasting & Landslides: Geography and Erosion
Chapter 15: Mass Wasting Flashcards | Quizlet
Pile integrity test External links:
Pile Integrity Test – YouTube
Pile integrity test(PIT) – i-astm.com
How to Perform Pile Integrity Test | FPrimeC Solutions
Dynamic load testing External links:
PDA Test ( Dynamic Load Testing ) – YouTube
APPLE Dynamic Load Testing Systems | GRL Engineering
[PDF]Dynamic Load Testing – lgh-usa.com
Wind wave External links:
NC ReefCast Wind Wave Forecast – Saltwater Central
Deep Foundations Institute External links:
dfi.org – dfi – Deep Foundations Institute – wboxy.net
Deep Foundations Institute – Home | Facebook
Deep Foundations Institute (DFI) – Events – SuperPile ’18
Standard penetration test External links:
Standard Penetration Test – Geotechdata.info
Standard Test Method for Standard Penetration Test …
The Standard Penetration Test (SPT) – ProjectEngineer
Dynamic compaction External links:
Dynamic Compaction – wwwbio.de
Dynamic compaction (Book, 1995) [WorldCat.org]
Dynamic Compaction Equipment, Australia. Used roller sales.
Reynolds’ dilatancy External links:
[PDF]ON REYNOLDS’ DILATANCY AND SHEAR BAND …
ON REYNOLDS’ DILATANCY AND SHEAR BAND EVOLUTION…
Reynolds’ dilatancy – YouTube
Geotechnical investigation External links:
[PDF]Geotechnical investigation and testing — Field testing
[PDF]Geotechnical Investigation Report and Summary of …
[PDF]TITLE: GEOTECHNICAL iNVESTIGATION …
Civil engineering External links:
George F. Young, Inc. – Civil Engineering and Surveying
AutoCAD Civil 3D | Civil Engineering Software | Autodesk
What is Civil Engineering? | Civil Engineering
Reinforced concrete External links:
[PDF]REINFORCED CONCRETE STRUCTURE DESIGN …
[PDF]Reinforced Concrete Design – Faculty